truck buying advise/ pls help!

I am looking for a truck to buy this year so I can become an independent traveler with my horse.  So, ultimately, truck and trailer are my goals this year, and I am starting with the truck.  My funds are limited, can't get this year's model, if you know what I mean.
Want anyone's advise who is willing to give it on the possible purchase I will look at tomorrow...

'89 Ford F350 dually, lariat package, 79,000 original miles, tow package, owned and maintained by a mechanic (he restores older trucks too)  6300$
My main questions are:
Is this a lot more truck than I need to pull a two horse trailer and what are the disadvantages (other than the obvious ie: more gas chugging) of owning a BIGGER truck.
Any advise about a dually?  Why I would or would not want to get one?
This would be my first truck purchase.  I have never owned an american made car and am not sure how many more miles I can expect this truck to go... any thoughts?
Thanks for your time, I appreciate any advise..
Jenni and Sauvie (flea-bitten stinker... I mean, sweetheart!)