LD or Endurance

Thank you everyone for your replies to my LD vs. Endurance question.  I am
leaning towards doing a few multi day LD's in the beginning of my season and
then there is a ride in the park that I regularly ride at in June, I will
try a 50 there since it will be familiar ground.  In one of my responses I
received it was indicated that I should be doing 40 mi. training rides prior
to doing 50's, is that what most riders do?  I was under the impression that
would be considered "overconditioning".  Could some of you elaborate????

Thanks
Angie