500 miles

carla lawson robandcarla@hotmail.com
I still think we ought to just take a big corral put all the horses in it
stallions, mares, geldings and throw in some goats and cows for good
measure. You can add one of those ID collars to your horse. The next
morning the riders with bridles saddles and all equipment in hands stand
at a start line. There is a gun shot start. Riders run into the corrals
and find their horse. They must then apply the saddle, bridle and
equipment needed. Mount their horse in the corral and run out. Not walk
mind you but a dead run until they are clear of camp. There will be vet
holds of 30 min every 12 miles. Horses must pass PR unsaddled. They are
then placed back into a makeshift corral of twine string and sticks. There
is one bucket of water and a bale of hay thrown in this corral every five
minutes. After the hold time the rider then must lasso their horse from 10
feet of the corral. drag it to the fence line and then they may saddle and
continue the next 12 miles. Rider is allowed one potty break at the 50
mile mark. That is it! The horse and rider that cross the line first is
the winner. There is no BC award. If this feat can be done it Deserves to
be National Champion.. The only catch..it has to be the horse you came to
the ride with. Or did I just describe the National Championship?????????
But to be realist, Howard I have to disagree. If rider A goes out here and
purchases a horse that can qualify for the National Championships and that
rider has 500 miles as well. The problem I can see is a rider with 500
career miles being able to go out here and purchase a horse every year
with out working for it. I like the 500 mile rule. I believe it makes you
work for a NC!! I mean that is what it takes right? HARD WORK!! Don't
worry Howard You have the horses it just takes time to get there!! A
National Championship should not be a Walk in the Park. It needs to be an
honor to get there. Perhaps maybe some don't see opertunity with the entry
fees. Yes they are steep. But, perhaps one of the regional PERKS could be
if you Best Condition the GERA Classic you get $100 off the entry to NC!
Perhaps some riders need to look at getting sponsors? I would wear a patch
with a logo on it. Or a saddle pad with logos. Great way to get free stuff
as well! I am sure that the bigger rides could finance a BC into NC. I
can't see it happening in other smaller rides. But if there are regional
winners perhaps they can combine funds and help sponsor a horse rider
combination. Maybe I am wrong but I could see it working for some riders.
I still like the first Idea.. the corral thing.
Carla (back to designing coupons...sigh...)
Ansata (you are not going to get me in a corral with 50+ crazed arab
horses!!!)
Haley (I will eat them for lunch)
Rob (Whats with the pissy look on Haleys face???)