500 MILES

I agree Tami that most members have express that they would like to see a Championship more accessible. Is that the word I am looking for? Or at least a little more realistic for today's competitor.

I don't know what the qualifying distance should be but I don't think 1,000 miles a season is such a smart thing. Just because it use to be, doesn't mean it was the right thing to do. That is 100 mile ride every month and attempting to top five in at least two, or whatever the criteria was. Is that such a good thing for a horse?? You would really have to push until you got your two top fives or wins or whatever. You could end up racing hard every month for 10 months. It is not impossible, but it isn't brilliant strategy either. But what do I know. I don't have a gazillion miles.

Oh I know they did it. And I am sure they did well? Because I am sure the pull stats were much lower then. Ooops. I didn't mean to be sarcastic to Those Who Know It All. See how that spreads?

I appreciate the information you brought forward. I don't know what the answer is either except I prefer a championship to be just that. Well qualified riders, who have proven themselves and know what it takes to at least finish in good shape no matter what the circumstances, (terrain, weather, etc.,) if not go for the gold.

Lisa Salas, The Odd Farm
Not enough miles to know a damn thing, but I'll get it.