Re: RC: Re: [DR] Re: QUALIFICATION THOUGHTS

I really don't want to get too philosophical here, but it seems to me that we
(the AERC) have really focused on being extremely 'inclusive' when it comes
to recognizing who is FIRST in BC, Miles, Regional Awards, Husband and Wife,
Family and so forth.
    It seems we have created a membership who has (needs) to be
recognized/awarded for their efforts...even if the playing field can never be
level, the chest-thumping and territoriality seems to continue.
    When it comes to a NATIONAL CHAMPION, perhaps there SHOULD be only
one...irrespective of weight division, miles ridden, breed ridden, color of
riding attire, etc.
    Just put out the word...."The National Champion will be the winner of
such and such Hundred Miler at such and such a given date".
    If you don't win, you don't win.
    No bitching, no complaining.
    If you think you have the best horse, and you can best the other riders
on that horse, show up and do it.
    If you don't show up, don't complain about, "I don't have the money, the
time, the truck, the trailer, the clothes, the number of miles, I weight too
much, my horse weighs too much, the vet weighs too much", and so forth.
    The very nature of a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP is to EXCLUDE all but ONE
HORSE AND RIDER TEAM from THAT title.
    That's why you ride the ride, race the race, make the effort.
    And all the bellyaching and crybaby stuff would just STOP.
Frank.