ROC

Howard,
The ROC has always been expensive. Someone else already mentioned the
"goodies".  Animal Tacker was the Central region sponsor & we got biothane
halter bridles, reins & breastcollars. Monte won one of Roger's heart
monitors in the raffle.
I don't know if any riders slept in tents the year we were there, but it
wouldn't surprise me if there were some. (My step son & family did, but they
were visiting us, not riding.) There was quite the same assortment of rigs
you'd see at any other ride.
Then there's the parade & ceremony the day before the ride.
And the finish was awesome.  You came down out of the hills and the finish
lane was lined on both sides with those long multicolored glow things (like
for parties). As soon as you came in sight the music started up. (Yes, you
get all the hoopla even at 2 am.) It literally brough tears to my eyes. Of
course, I was crying because it would have been soooo much nicer to have had
the markers back on the trail, but what the hey, it was the ROC & I did it.
Then there's the champagne & hug from Susan & the medal & the buckle.
It boils down to the aura & history of the ROC, whether you want to do it or
not.  I've certainly done some really nice rides at a regular fee that were
more organized & consistant without all the extra activity. I can't say I'd
never do it again, though, if I wanted to see the area where it was.
Nancy Mitts