Re: RC: Camp Far West Ride

Karen (and others working with this situation) -
I'm in Texas, and know nothing about the area where this ride is held.  But
as a wildlife biologist, my attention was captured when you mentioned "bird
nesting" as one reason for closing the area to horses for 3 months.  Is there
a species of threatened or endangered bird that uses this refuge?  If so, the
managers might be under legal mandate to protect that species from
disturbance, etc. during nesting.  Just a thought.  If that's the case, there
might not be much that can be done about the closure period.  It certainly
sounds like ride management has been working well with the refuge folks, and
hopefully the ride can be rescheduled for later in the year, after the
nesting period (if that's the main reason for the 3 month closure).  Best of
luck as you continue to work through the situation.

Dawn in Texas