<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] Clipping in winter
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:42:17 GMT 2003
  • - Heidi Smith
  • - PatOlivatigger

    [RC] Clipping in winter - Stagg_Newman

    Kathy,

    We typically do not clip for late fall or winter rides, even for 100s
    unless we are really going to be racing.  Just pace accordingly,
    and sponge the horse if necessary.  It may take a bit longer
    to cool down at the checks but probably not more than a couple of
    minutes.

    If it's going to be warmer than usual we may just clip along the
    jugular veins.  That seems to help them cool on a ride while not
    affecting their ability to stay warm in the NC mountains
    where are horses also are out all the time with only a run-in shed
    and trees.(altho we are not at 7000 ft).

    Stagg

    From: "Mike & Kathy Kelly" <reallykk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: [RC]   clipping

    I'd like to hear from people who've left their horses unclipped for a 50 =
    mile ride in a warmer climate than the horse lives in (during the =
    winter, of course).

    It is cold where I live (below 0 the last few nights) at 7000+ ft.  My =
    arab has a wonderful thick coat and I've never seen him cold (he has a =
    run-in shelter and trees in his large paddock).  I'm going to DVE to do =
    a 50 in a few weeks (at a moderate pace), and really don't want to clip =
    him.  In my experience his coat is much more effective than his blanket =
    at keeping him warm (its a nice heavy $200 blanket, not just a light =
    sheet).  I know it could be cool there, but even if it's a really warm =
    day it shouldn't be more than 70.

    Last month I took him south near Tucson and did two 25-mile CTRs without =
    clipping him.  The temps were in the 60s to low 70s, and he didn't sweat =
    a ton or have any problems from overheating (he did look a bit raggy =
    next to all those relatively smooth-coated Tucson horses, tho - but =
    that's not an issue).  There were local horses who were blanketed the =
    night after the ride and still cold, but Gabriel was comfy (I gotten him =
    cleaned up, dried and fluffy before it cooled off for the evening).  Of =
    course a 25 isn't a 50, but I'm experimenting to see what works and its =
    a start.

    I'm thinking if I had a polarfleece cooler or something like that to put =
    on him until he's dry (after the ride) that he'd be fine.  But I'm =
    inexperienced and am asking for feedback based on experience!

    Thanks,
    Kathy Kelly
    Parks AZ

    information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
    receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
    disclose or take any action based on this message or any
    information herein.  If you have received this message in
    error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
    and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.