<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] [RC] horse running away
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:42:18 GMT 2003
  • - Laurie Durgin
  • - Susan Garlinghouse

    Re: [RC] [RC] horse running away - Laurie Durgin

    I agree, Rascal is like that. We have had our same issues. Now I know "I" must decide the gait. Even if it if ok with me , I bring him back down to whatever gait we were in and then, give him the cue for the gait change. We also get in the ring for transition work, cicles(he occasionally likes to "run out" on the circle.Slowing and stoping well are other issues. He gets more obediant with ring work and practice, but then he occasionally "tests" me. I then make him do something he doesn't want to do. Circles, etc. Changing directions repetetively. etc. (if it is on trail).We have "danced sideways" down the trail too, but I beat that one by 'doubling ' him (from Mary Twelveponies book, "No Problem Horses...")
    He isn't named Rascal for nuthin' :) Laurie

    From: "Becky Huffman" <Becky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    To: <Sundaez@xxxxxxx>,<ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: Re: [RC]   horse running away
    Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 14:27:52 -0600

    What you are seeing is the line crossed between the horse doing what you ask because he likes you and you aren't *too* pesky, and the horse doing what he wants to because it is fun regardless of the pesky person on his back. IOW, a training issue. You have hit a level of fitness that is showing a few holes in the basics. I would guess this is a kind and friendly horse who is generally easy going and usually does what you ask, it is too easy to skip steps with that kind because it seems like they already know most of what you ask them to do... I'd back up a little with the training and rehash some 'listen to me' kind of exercises, practice up and down transitions, circles, etc and be consistent about requiring him to do as you ask.

    Becky Huffman, Cleburne, Texas
    www.TheOriginalSeries.com
    www.BlueArabianHorseCatalog.org

    "Of course you are. And I'm coming with you." Sam Gamgee

    ----- Original Message ----- From: Sundaez@xxxxxxx To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2002 10:34 AM Subject: [RC] horse running away

    Hi all...as my little Icelandic Jenni gets more and more fit he gets faster and faster. Yesterday I went on a training ride with a friend (who rides a very forward horse) and Jenni basically ran off with me a couple times. I can stop him by bending him sideways but don't necessarily want to do that...I just want to have some control <g> He is tipping his nose out and basically ignoring the bit. I ride in a french link snaffle. It wouldn't be so bad but he choses to go into flying pace (even uphill) which is very stiff to ride. Yesterday I tipped his nose from side to side trying to unbalance him into a gallop but no luck!

    I am thrilled that he feels so good....but anticipate he will be a runaway at the next ride if I don't do something. He's always been on the borderline anyway but now that it is winter and he's very strong...he's crossed that line!

    Anyway...I notice lots of endurance riders use a martingale. Will this help keep the nose down? He can't pace if he can't poke his nose out.

      Mel @
      Golden Gait Ranch
      Poway, CA
      See my Icelandics and Congo African Greys at:

    WebPhotos.com - The Photo Sharing and Printing Network

    Add photos to your messages with MSN 8. Get 2 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/featuredemail&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_addphotos_3mf