<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] [Guest] Finish Line Question for LD Riders
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:42:19 GMT 2003
  • - eyler
  • - Steph Teeter

    [RC] [Guest] Finish Line Question for LD Riders - Ridecamp Guest

    Stagg_Newman@xxxxxxxxxxxx - Stagg_Newman@xxxxxxxxxxxx

    Was on the board when we developed the current criteria for LD.  The board
    strongly
    felt that LD was not to be a race to the finish and so was to be different
    from
    a 50 or 100.  We wanted LD rides to be training rides for new riders and new
    horses
    as well as rides for people who did not have the time or inclination to go
    further.
    We wanted an extra margin of safety since LD rides would have more
    inexperienced
    horses and riders.

    And at the time marathon horse races were being popularized (and having
    problems).
    We distinctly did NOT want 25 rides to be like the marathon horse races.
    While we
    understood there would be racing, we wanted to insure the racing was done
    with some
    control and hence the different criteria.

    My impression is that the program has worked quite well and the original
    reasons for the decision are still valid.

    On the other hand a good debate with input from the members is healthy.
    I would recommend that those advocating a change clearly articulate the
    philosophy behind the change and also what effect the change would have
    on the original philosophy that motivated the rule and why that should be
    changed.

    Note that however rules are set as long as we have time constraints,
    there will be non-completions for OT, some by a couple of minutes.
    That may be a non-completion is the formal AERC records.  It can of course
    still be a meaningful achievement for the horse and rider that day.

    BTW re the ride below, I believe for a 30 mile ride, according to my
    calcutions one should have had 7 hours and 12 minutes not 6:30 so
    Barb and Dot would have had plenty of time if the correct time were
    allowed.

    Stagg

    From: "McGann, Barb" <BarbMcGann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
    Subject: RE: [RC]   Finish Line question for LD Riders

    Yes, it does happen.  Have seen it happen many times and this last year it
    happened to me.  Here's the scenario:  Soldier Mtn in Idaho.  LD is a 30
    consisting of one 15 mile loop that you do twice (over a HUGE mountain each
    time).  Dot Wiggins, super experienced rider on a young horse, myself,
    extremely experienced, but packing broken ribs so we're doing the 30.  The
    first time over, we're trying to pace ourselves conservatively...takes 3
    hours for the loop.  Now a 30 minute hold.  So that's 3:30 out of 6:30 gone
    (since its a 30 miler).  We know we have to pick up the pace some to make
    it
    over the mountain the second time in 3:00 flat.  And we do, except that we
    have a couple of problems (like falling off).  Now we're 3 miles from camp
    with less than 15 minutes!  Here's the choice (both of us have horses that
    recover nicely): (1) Cruise on into camp at a medium trot and end up over
    time, so it won't matter whether we recover or not.  Or, (2) we can run
    like
    hell the last 3 miles, and have 4 to 5 minutes for the pulse to come down.
    Guess which one we chose??Stagg Newman
    Senior Practice Expert
    America's Telecom Practice
    McKinsey and Company
    1-828-232-1314

    information.  If you are not the addressee or authorized to
    receive this for the addressee, you must not use, copy,
    disclose or take any action based on this message or any
    information herein.  If you have received this message in
    error, please advise the sender immediately by reply e-mail
    and delete this message.  Thank you for your cooperation.