type of hay to use

Gerald O. Thompson Kiger3@prodigy.net
I need help deciding on the appropriate type of grass hay to feed my
horses.  When I had one or two there was not much to decide by now that we
have over twenty it becomes a matter of nutrition versus cost.  So first
question?  Local grass has only about 4-5% protein versus Timothy or
Orchard grass at 12-15% does that mean I can feed less?  If I feed less
will the horse feel hungry as horses are grazers and more bulk provides
something to graze on during the winter months or in the stall.  The
obvious reason for the question is that local gras costs $5/100 versus
timothy at $10/100 double the feed costs.