First 50 mile ride

Hi Ridecampers,
I am planning on doing my first 50 mile ride on May 5th at LBJ Grasslands.
My horse will be 7 in May. I started him as a 4.5 year old
and the next two years we did several slow 25 mile rides and CTRs. He did
very well at the Frigid Digit 25 miles at a speed of 7 mph.
I would like some suggestions on how to best prepare him for this first
(slow) 50 miler.
Thanks,
Maria Berger