Dentists vs. vets

Title: Dentists vs. vets

I have used Dr. Richard Miller, who is an equine dentist with a DVM.  He sits on the board for Equine Dentists, and right now it seems that they certify a lot of dentists who are not vets.  You are right, you need the DVM to administer tranqs/sedatives.

I have used my regular DVM for a float.  He did a pretty good job, according to Dr. Miller, but did not address totally mouth balance like Dr. Miller does.  Which was pretty evident because the last two years I have Nancy Elliott, DVM, the horsey chiro/accupuncturist adjust Beau, and both times she said that he needed dental work at the time of adjustment.  Which was fine, but it ticked me off a little because I had his teeth floated by a regular vet just a month before her visit!  The first time I had just spent $480 because they had to use general anesthesia for getting a pretty bad hooked molar trimmed down, and Beau was pretty sore after that.

So anyway, after the second time she said that I did a web search and was lucky enough to catch Dr. Miller on his way up to Northern California and he did a real nice job on Beau.  And Nancy Elliott was happy that I was able to get hold of him, too, she recommends his work. And with a total mouth balancing, with tranqs and sedatives cost less than ½ the price that the regular vet charged.

I need to call him again soon, because I am noticing he needs some work again!

K.