Honesty (Part Two)

I met a young man from UAE at this ride.  Actually, he's a college student studying in the states (Indiana), but I don't think he's been here very long.  I went out of my way to talk to him, to the point where he probably thought I was a bit weird, but I had so many questions.  lol.  Bottom line, I really like him.  His name is Mubarek, like the guy in charge of Egypt.  I'm not sure if that's his first name or last, but it's what he wanted me to call him.  So, I did.

This was his first endurance ride in the states.  He has done some in UAE, but because of school and the fact that he's probably only 19 or so, he hasn't done that many.  But, I could tell, he really does love the sport.  Mubarek asked me some questions too; it wasn't a one way street I took him on.  One question he asked of me was something along the lines of him wanting to know if all American endurance riders were wealthy.  Interesting question.  I told him no, not really, and then I pointed to my trailer and tent, to kind of reinforce my point.  He asked me how we afford to pay for what we do. I tried to explain to him the idea of credit, loans, banking and American debt.  I know I totally confused him, especially when I told him that my accounting practices for my own household, because of owning horses and going to so many rides, were modeled after Enron.

And guess what else I did at this ride, first time, for me?  I talked with my gal, Val.  After three loops, just before leaving for my last one, I did spot her coming out of the restaurant, which just happened to be across the street from my camping spot.  I had my horse, War Cry with me.  I asked her about her book.  Where I could buy it, who the publisher was.  This was a result of someone posting on Ridecamp that she had written one, and after looking for it on the Internet, Barnes and Noble and all the other book stores at the mall, to no avail, I figured I'd muster up the courage to find out from the source where I could obtain it.  Bottom line, she hasn't written one.  She thinks someone confused the introduction she wrote for someone else's book on endurance.

And, no, I didn't really introduce myself, since she might recognize the name Howard (yea, right).  This was cause Bernie had put signs out on the trail, with all sorts of folks' names on it, phrases like, "Give em Hell, Adele," and "Howard, watch out for this tree," and, my favorite, a sign that said "Howard's condo" next to a really dilapidated looking tent that was set up to the left of the trail for some reason. He even had a can of beer attached to a tree, but didn't have my name on that one.  Bernie had written, "This Bud's for Joe," even though I noticed it was a can, unopened, of Miller Light.  I saw these signs on the first loop, and had plans on taking that beer on the third loop, which would be this same loop, repeated, for the 50 milers.  Funny thing is, when I looked for the beer later that day, it was gone.  I guess Joe took Bernie words to heart, or to mouth, and got rid of the evidence.

Anyway, I'm rambling as usual, but keep this ride on your calendar.  I've been to three great rides lately:  Goethe, Jennings Boogie, and now, this one, Boy Scout PowWow.
Every one super managed and run, and the folks had such a great time. I have so much fun it must be illegal, and I do learn from each ride.   Even though I only completed one of the three, I just don't care anymore whether or not I do get that completion.  OK, I just lied there, I do care, but I've learned to live with the fact that I need to keep working on making changes and adjustments if I want to finish a 50 miler.  One of these days I'll figure out what I'm doing wrong and maybe finish a darn ride or two.  But it's the challenge of it all that keeps me coming back, and the love of the horses and the riders, that make it all worthwhile.

cya,
Howard