PrePurchase Vet Exam

I just recently bought a horse specifically for endurance and had him vetted
at a large equine facility (Rochester Equine in New Hampshire).  It was too
far for my local vet to do (100 miles from home).  I told them that I wanted
a vet check done and the horse would be doing endurance and that I wanted
the vet check done for a horse that would be doing 50 mile rides.  The vet
who did the check is the vet who does the Maine 80, so I felt comfortable
that he knew what to do.  I also asked for xrays.  I wanted from the knees
down on the front legs (the vet suggested getting the knees done as well),
specifically with a set of coffin bone and navicular xrays, and I also had
the hocks done.  The reason I wanted so many xrays is that this is a former
race horse retired at the age of 9.  I knew he was sound, I just needed to
know that he would stay that way and that there wasn't any hidden damage.

I know I am going to miss some of the things they did, but here goes.  They
checked heart rate.  They did a respiratory check which included putting a
black garbage bag over his nose.  From what I understand, this was to check
to see if he is a "roarer", amoung other things.  They also did flexion
tests on every leg joint, and they did more than one flexion on each of the
joints.  We trotted him out, longed him in both directions.  I know they did
more, I just can't remember it all.  What I do remember was the vet checking
all of the xrays in detail and finding nothing after a 9 year racing career.

They other thing is that a complete exam like this is not cheap.  I only
paid $1,200 for my horse, and the vet check was $714.  Over $400 of that was
for the 30+ xrays I had done.  But I know I have a sound horse.

Carolyn Burgess