Barefoot rides

Darolyn,

I was wondering whether you ever use easyboots or do
you always go barefoot? And what do you think about
the use of easyboots with respect to the barefoot trim
- Would easyboots just never be needed?
How do you handle winter and snow/ice - I'm used to
putting "winter shoes" with the studs on  a horse, so
they don't slip on icy patches.
Oh, and once the horse is trimmed in this way, how
long does a horse take to make such a good reliable
hoof? For example, the Paint I used to have had really
bad feet. He had trouble holding shoes and if he went
barefoot on anything but grass he got chips in them
pretty quick. One time he even developed a horizontal
crack that eventually grew out, but when it got closer
to the ground, a huge chunk of hoof broke off with it.
Luckily it was not deep and so he wasn't lame because
of it. He went over rocks and things just fine when he
was barefoot (not sore), but the rate at which his
hooves wore out was just too quick - I could only ride
once or twice in a week before they were too short.
Of course, everyone tried to blame his 4 white feet
for all the hoof problems, but I'm not really
convinced of that whole theory of white feet being
weak and black feet being strong. There has to be more
to it than that.
PLease feel free to e-mail me privately if you like.
Lysane

Web-hosting solutions for home and business! http://website.yahoo.ca