From: John Tuttle <JTUTTLE@fdah.com>
To: <db8ranch@wavecom.net>
Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 6:30 AM
Subject: Pinnacle IN

Mr./Mrs. Stocchetti;
  Thank you for your inquiry in regards to Pinnacle IN, the intranasal
strangles vaccine.  I'd like to attempt to explain the "reactions" you have
described.
   Pinnacle IN vaccine mode of action and protection is by the stimulation
of antibodies located in the upper respiratory tract, which includes the
pharynx/larynx (throat), as well as the nasal passages.  The bacteria in the
vaccine is modified in a way that the horses immune system is stimulated
without causing disease.  An adjuvant, which is the liquid part of the
vaccine, is used to enhance the immune response.  The two clinical signs you
described are the two most commonly reported benign events associated with
the use of Pinnacle IN.  The runny nose is a situation which normally lasts
approximately 72+/- hours.  It does not occur in every horse, however it is
fairly common.  It is caused primarily from the adjuvant in the vaccine,
which causes a transient irritation within the nasal passages.  This
irritation enhances the immune reaction, ie: by causing the cells which are
responsible for irritation  (which are also the cells associated with the
immune system), to migrate to that area, more of the vaccine is utilized
for the immune reaction and antibody stimulation.  The discharge is not
considered contagious, and usually goes away without treatment within 3
days.  The lump you have described is a lymph node which was stimulated due
to your horse's response to the vaccine.  Lymph nodes are the core areas for
immune responses.  Antibodies and other immune cells are made and "stored"
there.  The size of the lymph node dictates the degree of immune reaction.
This most commonly occurs due to a horse being exposed previously to Strep
equi, the cause of strangles, OR other Strep bacteria, which are the most
common cause of the "barn snots". This can occur during shows, trail rides,
competition, etc... In essence, your horse most likely already had some
antibodies "stored-up" from a previous exposure, not necessarily to the
disease, but to the bacteria.  When your horse was vaccinated with the
Pinnacle IN, your horse had what we called a hyper immune response, due to
previous exposure.  It was not a case of Strangles.  The lymph node enlarged
due to it producing a healthy, but possibly an over-exuberant, immune
response.  It will not be a problem.

  Thank you very much for your input.  Reports such as these are important
in maintaining quality control of our equine biologicals.  I understand your
concern, but hope I have helped put your mind at ease.  If you have any
further questions, please don't hesitate to call.

Sincerely,

John H. Tuttle DVM
Manager, Professional Services
Fort Dodge Animal Health