Re: multidays

Multi-day rides are indeed 4-5 one-day 50s.  The more relaxed attitude comes
from (in my opinion) the choice the rider has made to ride all days on the
same horse.  Then the perspective changes somewhat.  Knowing that the rider
must save the horse so that it can go all the days, the rider approaches it
differently than if he is going out for just one or two of the total days.
I've watched this repeatedly: a rider comes to ride the first one or two
days of a five-day ride and he is competitive.  He's going to try to win
those two days, then go home (and his horse will rest).  But go for all five
days, and the rider paces much more carefully; less speed perhaps and more
consistency.  As a BOD member, I cannot agree to require at least two vet
checks for each 50 mile ride, because I have never ridden a multiday ride
where I felt more than one was needed.  Furthermore, on some rides, it is
logistically impossible to hold more than one vet check (such as Day 4 on
Applegate-Lassen).  I do feel that on a one-day 50, more than one vet check
is important.  So it is not really easy to say there must be more than one
VC on each day of a multiday, while at the same time each day is really a
one-day 50 (but then again, for those who are going for all 5 days, it isn't
a one-day 50).  Rather complicated and not an easy decision to make.

Barbara McCrary
West region director
Chair-Rules Committee