<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Please says something Merryben!
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:40:25 GMT 2003
  • - Howard Bramhall
  • - Merryben

    Re: [RC] Please says something Merryben! - Howard Bramhall

    lol, simmer down now Maryben, simmer down.  It's a story.  Not all of it is completely true.  America didn't break the sound barrier, I didn't lose sight of my kid, and two headed jack rabbits are not running loose in Hahira, GA.  I swear if some of ya'll don't learn to relax a little I'm quite concerned reading my stories might give one of you a heart attack.  I can see I'm going to have to put that disclaimer in the next part.

    In 6 days Jen turns 14.  I've already have her AERC endorsed letter which gives her permission to let her fly on her own.  Her wings have sprouted.  I don't think there's one ride manager down here who knows her who will have a problem with her going out there solo.  It's something she really wants to do and I know she's more than ready.  I find it quite ironic that this part of my story disturbs you, but having a 5 year old out on the trail riding a 100 miler does not.

    cya,
    Howard (confused, confounded, but, still amused)

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Merryben@xxxxxxx
    Sent: Wednesday, November 27, 2002 11:29 PM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] Please says something Merryben!

    In a message dated 11/27/2002 8:58:43 PM Central Standard Time, rides2far@xxxxxxxx writes:

    With all this in mind, I asked Jen not to follow me and America as
    closely as she normally does at the other rides.  We both agree that if
    El Whacko takes off at the start, like I know he will, to ignore me and
    just run her own ride.  Somewhere, down the trail, I will slow the horse
    down and even turn him around, if necessary, so she and I can eventually
    ride together.  Sounds like a good plan, I don't think we're violating
    any of the Junior rules by doing this

    Howard you are most certainly violating junior rules.  At my ride you would be DQ.....

    The rules say that the sponsor and the junior "must ride together at all times, including entering and leaving all vet checks at the same time; the only exception being that at the finish a Junior may finish within the same minute or within the one minute on either side of the sponsor's finishing minute."

    If your horse is a danger to your junior, she should be riding with someone else.  That is the point of having sponsors.  The sponsor is supposed to be able to take care of the junior.  I will admit that some of my juniors took care of me but I was always able to take care of them in an emergency situation.

    mb