<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Exempts private property,military lands and all plant lifefrom ESA
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:40:25 GMT 2003
  • - Bob Morris
  • - Barbara H-B

    RE: [RC] Exempts private property,military lands and all plant lifefrom ESA - Alison Farrin

    It gets worse.  San Diego County recently rewrote the general plan to make all close in rural land 10 acre minimum lots to preserve agricultural use on these properties.  However, when you come in with your subdivision 5-6 or more of each 10 acres is mitigated to open space. Can't touch it, certainly can't use it for agriculture.  Lop off another acre fro the house and you have, oh 2 acres left for agriculture.

    And if someone already farmed that land, but you didn't for the last couple years, well now its "disturbed natural habitat" and you have to mitigate that too!

    Every agency is pulling in opposite directions all with the same stated intent of preserving land for all of us to enjoy.  The result is that most of the natural habitat looks pistol whipped, the streams are clogged because you can't clean them out and our trails are disappearing because walking on a deer trail through the open space is humans disturbing the habitat.

    For the 85 acres we want to subdivide, so far we have spent $50,000 just to establish what habitat we have and what threatened or endangered species might reside there.  If we were to actually tell the truth, 82 of these 85 acres have been FARMED within the last 10 years and the entire habitat was GONE at one point.  But we can't tell the truth, because then they'd mitigate the whole thing and we couldn't build anything on the property.  Now, remember, this is land they just voted to preserve for agriculture - but if you went in to get a farm permit, you couldn't have one, because the prior owner disturbed (FARMED) the land.

    If anyone can make sense out of this, please explain it to me!!!

    I was trained as a wildlife biologist and the entire county/state/federal plan(s) strikes me as just plain stupid.

    Alison A. Farrin
    Innovative Pension
    Innovative Retirement Services
    858-748-6500 x 107