<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Training horses to calm down...
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:40:28 GMT 2003
  • - Becky Huffman
  • - Laura Hayes

    Re: [RC] Training horses to calm down... - Becky Huffman

    I've received lots of comments on this so I'll go ahead and post back to the
    main list.

    I saw this in an advertisement or article and modified mine slightly when I
    made it.  The one I saw was for foals and was just an eyelet the rope went
    thru, with a block of wood on the end so you could give them a little more
    rope and not worry about them getting tangled up in the slack.

    When I made mine, I used a nylon dog leash like you get in the groc store
    and threaded it thru a ceramic electric fence insulator. (white, donut
    shaped).  I suppose the leash must have been about 8-10ft to start with,
    anyway, it slides thru the insulator, but not slippery-easily, it takes just
    a little pull to get it thru.  These are items I 'just happened' to have
    on-hand one day when I had a burst of creative energy, but they have held up
    very well.  The weight is an old window weight and I have no idea what it
    weighs, pretty heavy, I'm sure someone will know the stats on that.

    so it is like this:

    (horse) ------------- O (eyelet)
                                  / (rope)
                                  /
                                 /
                                 /
                                /
                               ~ (weight)
                               ~
                               ~

    there is a knot in the rope so the weight doesn't lay on the floor and of
    course, the weight can't pull thru the eyelet.

    and it is *inside* a stall, so if they back to the end of the rope with the
    weight against the eyelet, their butts are against the opposite wall.  they
    can think about for as long as they like and the weight applies steady
    pressure that is released when they come forward (downside: pressure is not
    released until they come forward enough for the knot to support the
    weight)((they have to already know and understand to come forward))

      ((if that doesn't help, I'll have to take pictures))

    Becky Huffman, Cleburne, Texas
    www.TheOriginalSeries.com
    www.BlueArabianHorseCatalog.org

    "Good and Ill have not changed since yesteryear; nor are they one thing
    among Elves and Dwarves and another among Men. "
    -Aragorn, son of Arathorn