<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Horse/Rider History Books re: PULL CODES
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:39:27 GMT 2003
  • - Barbara McCrary
  • - Jeannie Gillen

    Re: [RC] Horse/Rider History Books re: PULL CODES - Barbara McCrary

    This very interesting, because a few years back, the idea of a log book was repugnant to many endurance riders.  One reason was that the book follows the horse, and should someone offer a horse for sale, his entire record was there for all to see.  Good for the prospective buyer, bad for the seller, perhaps.
    As for the BOD being secretive about information, I was on the board for 21 years and I don't remember anyone being secretive.  I think it must be more a matter of the difficulty in distributing the information.  And lack of it forthcoming from the riders.  Before this year, it was the head vet who filled out the records of horses treated, now it's the riders themselves.  I think I received 3 records from the riders of Swanton Pacific this year.  I forwarded them on the AERC office.  Perhaps other riders submitted theirs directly to the office, but 3 out of the 11 who were pulled is a rather small percentage.
    I'm not sure why some members feel the BOD was always up to something to the detriment of the membership.  I certainly don't remember our being devious.  I DO remember spending long hours weighing decisions that we THOUGHT were to the betterment of the sport.  I suppose it is fairly typical that when things aren't going the way the membership (or public) wants, they blame the governing bodies.  Does anyone wonder why there are so few who actually are willing to run for office?  Or why there is such a small percentage who vote?  I guess I'm defending my 21 years on the board and the amount of time, energy, and concern I gave to them.  It's rather nice to be off the BOD; I spend more time riding and less time fretting.

    Barbara McCrary
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 1:58 PM
    Subject: Re: [RC] Horse/Rider History Books re: PULL CODES

    I kind of like the idea of a log book.  I think not only will it help the vets, but also can benefit the rider too.  It is amazing how many things you can forget not only from ride to ride, but from season to season too.  Also it could help the vets tremendously in that they might see a pattern developing and possible be able to head off a major disaster in the making.  I think I would be willing to participate in a test program.

    Becky Rohwer - NW Division