<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] National IAHA Championship on TV
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:46 GMT 2003
- (nil)
  • - Charles

    RE: [RC] National IAHA Championship on TV - Linda Cowles

    It's a good practice to raise questions when a horses welfare is at stake,
    but making declarations like the ones Sandy made based on perception of a
    video clip? I know Heather and Valerie, and many other top riders... like
    Ken and Maryben, I took offence. I had to cool off and rewrite this letter.

    Championship level endurance-type exertion is rarely a pretty thing to
    behold in any sport if the viewer is an armchair - or pleasure ride -
    athlete.

    Exertion... endurance...  I love to run trails on foot. In the past, I could
    run 33+ miles in the mountains, running the up hills and gliding the down
    hills. I loved it. Why? Exertion *feels* good! I was chronic, passionate. I
    still plan (persistently) to get back to doing that long mileage.

    What did **I** look like when I was running?

    I looked like hell.

    I'm not exaggerating. I looked EXTREMELY BAD. My face turns beet red, I
    breathe open-mouthed like some pale carp in stale water, sucking the air in,
    my eyes go out of focus, I wave my hands to help the blood move. I look
    horrible. I'm not normally an ugly woman, but when I run? Well, lets say I'd
    threaten the life of anyone who tried to video tape me after the first 50
    feet of incline. No matter how happy, healthy, well prepared I am, I look
    like someone who should be rushed to the Emergency Room.

    Even the most glorious specimens of our species - like Quicksilver's' famous
    Tevis runner and rider Marvin Snowbarger look like hell at the point in a
    race that this video was shot at. Red look marvelous from what I'm hearing.

    Top caliber track runners approaching the finish typically look like they're
    on the verge of exploding. I look "exhausted and miserable" any time I go
    into an anaerobic state. Happy? I'm euphoric!!! I want the next hill, and
    the 10 or 20 hills after that.

    In endurance sports where an athlete has to persist, the look is the same...
    Determined, persistent, pacing -- measuring what they have to give and how
    much longer they have to give it. Sometimes it looks bad on the outside but
    feels great on the inside.

    Endurance is about exertion.

    Linda Cowles
    Horse 'N Hound
    New, Consigned & Used Tack
    9155 North State St.,  Redwood Valley, CA 95470
    EASY  access with Hwy 101 frontage!
    Store: 707-485-0347               Fax:  707-485-4053
    kadence@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:kadence@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>