<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] National IAHA Championship on TV
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:47 GMT 2003
  • - Maggie Mieske
  • - Heidi Smith

    Re: [RC] National IAHA Championship on TV - Sandy Bolinger

    Which is fine and good Heidi...Just the rationalization I was making to my
    friends...but it still comes down to what the horses were experiencing while
    out on the ride.  Only horses with huge hearts can/will do  rides at those
    speeds...were they enjoying themselves AT ALL the last 10 miles?  Can we say
    it doesn't matter..they must have been fine because they were going "fast"
    and they looked good the next day??If a horse is suffering at all..is that
    OK?  I haven't ridden as many miles as you or seen as many horse at the end
    of rides..but I know what a horse looks like when it is exhausted and
    miserable.  And I saw it in the video and I've seen it  far too many times
    at far too many rides.  Everyone is going to have a different definition of
    what constitutes over riding a horse....in my oh so humble opinion...if a
    horse appears to be exhausted and miserable...he is being over ridden.  Will
    an exhausted and miserable horse still move along at 10 or 12 miles an hour?
    The ones with the big hearts will until they drop dead only because we ask
    them to. Does that mean it is OK to keep asking..just because they will????
    I also know what a horse looks and feels like who is truly enjoying himself
    and has energy to spare at the end of a ride. Again, to each his own...This
    is one of those topics that everyone sees in different light...A badly
    overridden horse to one person...is just a kind of tired horse to
    another....So be it.