<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Canter vs Extended Trot
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:48 GMT 2003
  • - Dbeverly4
  • - Bob Morris

    Re: [RC] Canter vs Extended Trot - Howard Bramhall

    In the trot, I try and post on the weaker diagonal 90 percent of the time.  Of course, the horse usually has other ideas.  It's my belief (I have many that never seem to pan out like I'd like them to) that if you focus on the weaker side, which always seems to be the left diagonal (are almost all horses right hoofed?) you will make the weak side stronger and balance out the horse more.

    This should also affect the canter leads.  I do believe if you have a one sided horse he'll end up looking like a tennis player.  You even see the forearm of a professional tennis player?  They're strong arm is twice as thick as their weak one.  For riders who don't pay attention to the diagonals or leads of their horse, I think a similar thing will happen to your mount and your mare will end up looking like Venus Williams.

    cya,
    Howard  (trot vs canter is like comparing Rojak to Kanavy.  haha)

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Kirk and Tara Rothwell
    Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2002 12:43 AM
    To: Val Nicoson; rjrohwer@xxxxxxx; kjz2@xxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] Canter vs Extended Trot

    This is how I try to keep equal work on each of my horses diagonals. I just
    post the diagonal correctly for the bend of the trail. If the trail is
    curving left then I am posting on the right diagonal thus relieving the
    stress from the inside hind. I find this works very well (I ride in thw W
    and NW). Of course on the long straight aways you have to just watch the
    clock and then I post 5 minutes and then change diagonals. The last race
    that I did I never had to do this as the trail was constantly changing
    directions and I just posted accordingly.
    Tara