<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] trot and extended trot
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:49 GMT 2003
  • - superpat
  • - Karen

    Re: [RC] trot and extended trot - Typef

    My old guy (who passed away in Feb. at the age of 35) had the same thing. And I never figured out whether it was an Arabian thing, a Thoroughbred thing or just a thing. He as Anglo-Arab. It was an incredible gait that he seemed to be able to do forever and I just sat it, swaying left to right a little. It was so fast and so exhilarating. My dad used to use that gait on many an endurance ride in the 70s to eat up distance. And that horse just loved to do it. He hated it when you made him slow down. Now my Mustang is beginning to open up in her conditioning and has herself just discovered this last week that she can trot faster than she thought she could. It's not as smooth to sit as my old guy's but eventually it might be. It's been interesting watching her figure it out. The first she did it I could see the wheels spinning (her thinking, "wow, this is cool. Wait, should I be doing this?" a little break in gait "yeah, I should, let's do some more!") I never asked her to pick up her speed at the trot that much and she found it on her own and now that she has, she's liking it. I'm not letting her do it for too long for fear of injury since she's still in the early stages of conditioning. So am I doing an extended trot or a "road" trot somebody else mentioned? Should I not be letting her do that? I just know my old guy could go as such speed and for such a long time and he never had a lameness or injury problem.
    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Debby Stai
    Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 2002 11:42 AM
    Subject: [RC] trot and extended trot

    When I'd trail ride my old Arab, he can't do it anymore, he had THE most wonderful extended trot, took some getting use to on how to post to it as it was so very big.  We did it for very short periods, I can see where it would be very tiring and hard on their legs for too long.  He surely seemed to love it when he could open up and do it, I had many compliments about him, I sure do miss it.  My husbands QH could/would do it quite well too but he was a little more on the forehand with it but it too was a sight to see.  Debby