<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] electrolytes?
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:50 GMT 2003
  • - Linda B. Merims

    Re: [RC] electrolytes? - Sarah McIntosh

    Actually, Susan Garlinghouse has provided information on this topic before, the body can not 'learn' to use electrolytes more quickly if they are provided.  Hopefully Susan can jump in here with correct information about e-lyte usage by the body.

    Sarah McIntosh
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Monday, November 04, 2002 11:12 PM
    Subject: [RC] electrolytes?

    I liked what Heidi said about e-lytes, makes sense to me.

    I also think maybe we teach the horses body to need more by giving them all the time.
    I think horses  adapt to hard work and the body learns to conserve essential minerals in sweat.   If e-lytes are always replaced quickly there is no survival adaptation.

    I have almost never given e-lytes while training, and there have been no reasons to change that yet.   But most of the horses I've used have been raised and kept in the open, on pastures.   And they have been the old fashioned, hard working kind, Arabs, Quarter Horses, and just "horse".

    Just my thoughts, to each his own.