<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Leonard--aka "cool dude"
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:50 GMT 2003
  • - Rae Callaway
  • - Leonard . Liesens

    RE: [RC] Leonard--aka "cool dude" - Leonard . Liesens

    I can not agree more on what you say. I don't know how horses are raised in
    the US, but by passing on the highways and watching them, I saw many in
    small paddocks, or on small irrigated pastures. But you have huge land
    pastured by cows... Is it not allowed to raise horse 'in the wild/open
    range'  the same way?

    -----Original Message-----
    From: Heidi Smith [mailto:heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
    Sent: mardi 5 novembre 2002 3:18
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; LIESENS Leonard (PRESS); terre
    Subject: Re: [RC] Leonard--aka "cool dude"

    >I am wondering if our "need" to electrolyte so much
    > may, in fact, be due to the distances we haul and the horses being in
    > deficit before the race begins.  People often note that in the "old days"
    > nobody electrolyted like this--I am wondering if they were hauling these
    > distances then. Thoughts?

    Yes, we were frequently hauling a long way, back in the '70's, because there
    just plain weren't very many rides.  My very first ride was about a 10-hour
    haul from home.  I think there are several factors that have influenced the
    electrolytes needed these days.  One is that many more horses now are raised
    in confinement situations on diets that contain more concentrates, and never
    fully develop their hindguts.  It isn't just the energy produced there that
    is a factor, but that hindgut full of forage also serves as a reservoir of
    both electrolytes and water.  In my experience, the horses that don't need
    lytes are the ones that never stop eating for ANYTHING, and will consume in
    the range of 4% of their body weight in good quality roughage when in heavy
    work.  Another factor that has affected need for lytes, IMO, is the fact
    that in the last 3 to 4 decades, horses (not just Arabs, but all breeds)
    have been bred consistently AWAY from working type.  I see a difference in
    electrolyte needs in family lines, and although this is not a hard-and-fast
    thing, there is a tendency for horses of predominantly modern show lines to
    have a higher need for lytes, and most of the horses that don't need them or
    need less of them are of older lines, and are of a more serviceable riding
    type all around.  And this isn't just true of Arabs--I've seen it in QH's
    and others as well.  The old ranch-style QH's don't need near the
    "supportive care" that the modern ones do, just like we see with the Arabs.

    Hauling is certainly an added stress, but again, when a horse hoovers down
    every morsel fed to him in the trailer and sucks down half a bucket of water
    every time you open the hatch and offer him some, he doesn't tend to come to
     the ride with any particular deficits.

    Heidi