<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] bots
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:51 GMT 2003
  • - Vallonelee
  • - drhopkins

    Re: [RC] bots - Debra Ager

    Its called purging because ivermectin gets everything except the encysted ones, but its just the normal dose, at least that's my understanding of it.  That's why I use Strongid daily dewormer, because as soon as you purge, all those encysted worms (strongyles) hatch out and move to the gut.  the strongid C daily wormers take care of those little buggers so the horse never has to deal with an infestation.  I sure wish someone would clue me in on the lifecycle of those blasted bots, though.  I'd really like to know how long after the eggs are ingested it takes for the maggots to hatch out.

    Debbie
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Saturday, November 02, 2002 9:33 PM
    Subject: Re: bots

    Hi Debra, yeah that is what I was thinking.  How long, and I'd think we wouldn't want to wait long cause there could be damage to their stomachs.  I just did a regular worming of ivermectin just in case.  As far as purging...are they talking about a larger dose that what is normally given?  or does it have to do with the timing of more than one dose?  Just wondering.  I appreciate you keeping me posted...thanks a bunch!!

    kathie