<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] help info needed on bucking horse
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:51 GMT 2003
  • - Leonard . Liesens
  • - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

    Re: [RC] help info needed on bucking horse - Charles

    As some folks know, I'm new to horses and so I don't have years worth of experience to draw on.  However, being new, I've been reading a bunch of stuff.

    Have you looked into something causing her pain?  My wife bought a horse that bucked everyone, and I mean everyone off.  I'm told he had moves that old hands had never seen .  The first thing she did was float his teeth.  I'm told that the teeth being out of line causes problems with muscles in the jaw and neck, and that leads problems in the back, and so forth.

    He still bucked after the teeth, so we had his feet looked at, and his back.  He was navicular and we got his feet fixed as best as possible.

    We also had his saddle looked at.  He'd been ridden western before we got him, and from what I've seen at team penning, I doubt the saddles fit him.

    And, he got time off to heal.  (since he bucked, he got beaten and became afraid to let someone on him).

    We eventually gave him to someone else, but I know that he was willing for my wife to ride him.  Last I heard they were doing a ton of groundwork and he was coming right along.  He was a sweet horse in all other respects.

    From what I've been reading, the advice is:

    Make sure there isn't some physical reason the horse is bucking.  Check teeth, feet, back, saddle, shoulders, elbows, etc.

    Then go back to groundwork to earn the horses trust and slowly reintroduce the saddle and riding.

    Charles