<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Ready for 55? (long)
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:38:20 GMT 2003
  • - Maggie Mieske
  • - Maggie Mieske

    Re: [RC] Ready for 55? (long) - superpat

    hello Deanna,
    I guess you letter proves to me again that there is more than one way to get
    to one's destination. And not one way is the best for everyone.
    I would like to point out that there are many successful endurance riders
    who have never done a LD ride. Some people have told me that they want their
    horse to think in terms of being out there for the distance so start with
    long slow (slow) steady rides. My first ride was a 25 miler at Headwaters
    (not an easy one) because my horse was only 4. He turned five soon
    thereafter and we entered 50's from then on.
    Riding a steady pace will generally get one into camp a lot sooner than the
    jack rabbit who may trot, walk, canter, trot, etc.
    Steady does not necessarily equate with slow or being in the saddle all day.
    I think that the very best way to approach a training regimen is to find an
    experienced endurance rider/s  (successful) and ride with them on training
    rides. If there is a club near you, that is even better. It is amazing what
    one will learn including, trail and race etiquette, strategy, pace, after
    ride care protocol, etc. My mentor was and is one of the best endurance
    competitors that I know and I learned so much from her. I wish all new
    riders could be so fortunate.
    The bottom line is that you are out there learning, experimenting and having
    fun and caring for your horse. Best to you....
    Pat