<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] there is no way that young and small a body can ride astride a horse that many hours without damage
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:37:39 GMT 2003
  • - B M
  • - Linda

    Re: [RC] there is no way that young and small a body can ride astride a horse that many hours without damage - Charles

    Here is my quick summary of the cites Joe mentioned.  I leave it to others
    (the board of the AERC) to decide how much weight to give them.
    http://home.iprimus.com.au/bill58/cumulative_trauma.htm

    Australian overview paper best summed up by
    "Cumulative Trauma Disorders are disorders which are more often than not
    caused by excessive repetition and inadequate scheduling of work and rest
    periods."

    The article goes on to discuss "tennis elbow", little league elbow, muscle
    imbalance and similar things.  I didn't know that in some instances, the
    pitching arm can be longer than the other arm.  I did know that tennis
    players a few years back often had massively dominant arms and under
    developed passive arms (the one that throws the ball up), but I'm told by my
    son who plays tennis that balance is what people aim for today and that the
    total body needs conditioning not just the serving arm.

    A lot of the article seems to be repeating that injuries while young, may
    have an effect well into old age.

    >    http://www.stege.com/topics/sports/children.htm

    General warning that overuse can cause damage.  Information from a
    podiatrist, and how he can help.  The article goes on to mention that
    concentrating on one sport is bad, so a variety is better.

    http://sportsmedicine.about.com/library/bl_growthplate.htm

    Interesting article on growthplate injuries.  These are caused by overuse.

    "While growth plate injuries can be caused by an acute event, such as a fall
    or a blow to the body, they can also result from overuse. For example, a
    gymnast who practices for hours on the uneven bars, a long-distance runner,
    or a baseball pitcher perfecting his curve ball can all have growth plate
    injuries."

    "Most injuries to the growth plate are fractures. Growth plate fractures
    comprise 15 to 30 percent of all childhood fractures. They occur twice as
    often in boys as in girls, with the greatest incidence among 14-year-old
    boys and 11- to 12-year-old girls. Older girls experience these fractures
    less often because their bodies mature at an earlier age than boys'. As a
    result, their bones finish growing sooner, and growth plates are replaced by
    stronger, solid bone.
    Growth plate fractures occur most often in the long bones of the fingers
    (phalanges), followed by the outer bone of the forearm (radius) at the
    wrist. These injuries also occur frequently in the lower bones of the leg:
    the tibia and fibula. They can also occur in the upper leg bone (femur) or
    in the ankle, foot, or hip bone. "

     http://www.connectingwithkids.com/old/archives/aug_02/delayspt.html

    Best summed up by the title "Pushing One Sport May Harm Younger Children".
    It goes on to point out that overemphasis and overtraining can cause
    problem.  A very general article.

    http://www.orthoseek.com/articles/sportinj.html

    a.. Horseback Riding

    The most serious injuries occur with falls involcing [sic] the head or neck.
    Riding helmets are important.

    a.. Falls on the shoulder can cause shoulder separation, or injuries to the
    knee including fractures.

    http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cache:yqErn79hd7wC:www.clevelandclinic.org/fh
    c/newsletters/fall2001/indepFall2001.pdf+bone+harm+child+sport&hl=en&ie=UTF-
    8

    Kids can get hurt.  Make sure they are physically capable of doing the work,
    don't overdo it and don't let them play hurt.

    Charles