<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Bylaws Vote not a referendum on BoD
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:36:47 GMT 2003
  • - Lynn Kinsky
  • - sindy mccosker

    Re: [RC] Bylaws Vote not a referendum on BoD - Howard Bramhall

    Take it from one who knows personally, the power of Ridecamp can be overwhelming at times.  And, waiting till the last moment to make a decision is an American tradition, especially when it comes to anything political.  It falls under the Law of Recency.  Now is definitely the time to talk about all this, because for us to wait until after November 15th , when the decision is cast in stone, will be too late.  So, if you agree or disagree with Heidi or anyone else who is openly speaking out on the subject, now is the time to make yourself heard.  I have yet to make up my mind on this subject, but I will soon.  I do know that I have gained much more information by listening to others, and their viewpoints on this, than I would have without it being there, and, for that I am grateful.  Ridecamp, as usual, remains on the cutting edge of endurance!

    So, even if you find yourself embarrassed (to say that is so silly I feel funny even mentioning it) by what happens on Ridecamp, understand that we now live in the world of Instant Messenger, which can travel thousands of miles in milliseconds, and the days of town hall meetings, face to face, are long since past.  If you don't think that the decision on whether the bylaws vote passes or fails is being made right here, right now, on Ridecamp, than you have yet to experience the third millennium and what it entails.  Embarrassed or not, it's the future (actually, it's the present), so you can either come to grips with it or you can go pound some sand.

    cya,
    Howard (who's not embarrassed at all by Ridecamp, ever)

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Joe Long
    Sent: Wednesday, October 09, 2002 1:58 AM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Bylaws Vote not a referendum on BoD

    People sometimes wonder if anyone's mind is ever changed by arguments
    on Ridecamp.  Well, yes.  Two days ago I was planning on voting "yes"
    on the Bylaws change; as a direct result of the discussion on Ridecamp
    I now intend to vote "no."

    First, a "no" vote does not mean that we don't appreciate the hard
    work that went into the proposed changes.  I for one very much
    appreciate all of the hard work, and having sheperded a Bylaws change
    through once upon a time I know how tough it is.  But no matter how
    much we appreciate the effort, we must decide how to vote based on
    whether we believe the proposed change, in its totality, is good for
    the AERC.  And I've been convinced that there are two fatal problems
    with the current package.

    One of the problems I now see is the removal of the "Family
    Membership" definition.  Yes, I know the Board can still keep family
    memberships.  But this is one of those "If it ain't broke, don't fix
    it" issues.  Frankly, I don't see the problem with a family membership
    having only two votes.  They get discounted dues, and most families
    only have two adults active in the sport anyway.  If a third adult
    member wants to vote, they have the option of joining as a single
    member.  Remember, the definition of "Family" for Family awards need
    not require that they all share one Family membership (I don't believe
    it does now).  Or, if we want to allow families with more than two
    adults to have more than two votes, that can be been changed in the
    Bylaws without throwing out the definition altogether.

    So, I have become pursuaded that the Family Membership is important
    enough, and enough a part of our heritage, to keep it in the Bylaws.

    The other problem I've already addressed, limiting membership to
    citizens only.  I must admit that when I first saw that, I was taken
    aback, then thought "Oh, it's just more of that us-vs.-them attitude
    that we see in the non-member fees."  I decided not to get my knickers
    in a twist about it again.  Now, after reading some of the comments
    here by non-citizen residents, I realize that it is a serious error
    and is alone sufficient reason to vote "no."

    Finally, this problem can be avoided next time around by presenting
    the Bylaws changes as line items, voted on individually.  Then we
    won't need to vote the whole package down because of a problem or two
    with them.

    --

    Joe Long
    jlong@xxxxxxxx