<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] barefoot
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:36:26 GMT 2003
  • - Linda Lavis
  • - Maggie Mieske

    Re: [RC] barefoot - Howard Bramhall

    Ladies, ladies, Please.  You're both right.  It's less filling and it also tastes great! Stop fighting over it all.  Repeat after me:  less filling; tastes great.

    Oooops, sorry, wrong topic, my bad.

    Look, you both seem to be quoting what you've read or your own fixations on the subject.  The truth is, there is no clear cut answer on this one.  Some horses can handle barefoot'n, some cannot.  I've become a barefoot nut myself, but I don't live in the mountains (not yet, anyway), and, if you can't do endurance here in Florida barefoot, I'm not sure it can safely be done anywhere.

    One should not be too extreme on either side.  I really do believe traveling without shoes will help develop the concavity of the sole that MIGHT prevent navicular type problems, but, I will be the first to tell you the horse does move out better with shoes on during a ride than he does without.  I'm hoping that will change to becoming more equal after a year or so; but I won't lie to ya'll and say barefoot horses, initially, can cover the same ground the same way as shod ones.  That just ain't true.

    I will let ya'll know the results, if there's anyone left out there who cares to listen, after all this cat fighting is over with.  I, personally, have no agenda and Strasser isn't paying me the big bucks to support her ideas.  I don't use that method anyway; too German. YOU VILL REMOVE THE SOLE and you will like it!  lol.  jk.

    Just take it one step at a time (pun intended).  I'm actually studying how to put on the shoes (Maggie, take a deep breath, relax, take another one, relax) for next year when I plan on attempting Old Dominion.  Hey, I'm no idiot (that's debatable, Howard); I won't try that one barefoot, and, quite frankly, I hate Easy Boots.  They're more unnatural than the shoes.

    cya,
    Howard (if I started this argument, I apologize.  I love apologizing; Bill Clinton lives on)