20 Mule Team

Hello all. I'm getting ready to try the 20 Mule Team in Ridgecrest. This is my first sanctioned ride, but I will only be doing the 35. My goal is to get an idea of what to expect, see how my horse reacts, and learn (and stay out of the way of others doing a more competitive pace). Since this is a first, does anybody have anything to share about this particular ride? Or any other information, tips, or advice?