RE: biothane and beta

Merrie,

Yep, you did have it backward.  The original style biothane that many people use as both the primary material and an overlay (typically referred to as biothane), is the thinner, brightly colored plastic looking material.  It is made from Polyurethane over a polyester webbing and there are actually several thicknesses available.

Beta is the more leather like material with an emboss to give a leather grain.  It is available in 2 thicknesses and only black or several browns.  One is called Standard and is the same thickness as the colored biothane.  The other is much thicker and called Super Heavy.  (Note, these terms for the thickness options are what BioPlastics uses, I’m not sure about other biothane sources.)  The beta material is a vinyl over webbing.

I think that biothane over beta makes a nice combination too!

Marlene