Re: RC: Opinions on running martingales used with sidepulls?

Kristi Schaaf wrote:

> Hi all -
>
> I keep waiting for someone to discuss the use (or
> misuse) of running martingales with tack other than
> bits. I ride in a rope halter sidepull, and even
> though I do try to use seat and legs for most control,
> sometimes I have to use the reins for communication or
> whoa. I've found that if I don't use the running
> martingale, the sidepull has a tendency to slide up my
> horse's face and becomes much less effective.

Kristi -

I can't decide what my thoughts are on the RM/sidepull thing.  I can
imagine it being either helpful or harmless, but having never used one
that way I'm not sure.

> Oh, also, my RM is a homemade jobby
> -it not only has rings that the reins slide through,
> the running martingale itself slides through the ring
> of a scissor clip attached to the breastcollar (which
> gives my horse much more freedom laterally). Has
> anyone ever seen one like this made commercially?

Yeah - I've seen it called a training fork, and I think it's a better
design.

-Abby B

--
* * *