<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] [Guest] Bitless bridle
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:36:01 GMT 2003
  • - Merryben
  • - Irene M Burnett

    RE: [RC] [Guest] Bitless bridle - Mike Sofen

    Renie,

    Sorry if I wasn't more specific but I was talking specifically about the "Bitless Bridle" sold under that brand name and not generic bitless bridles.  It works much differently than other types of bitless bridles such as sidepulls, rope halters, etc, because it works by "pushing" the head in the direction of the desired turn rather than directly "pulling" it there as with normal bits and bitless bridles.

    So my question is directed to riders who have spent a lot of time with the "Bitless Bridle" brand of bitless bridle - do the straps ever bind (slack taken up when pulled but not released when pressure is released)?  Is it possible to put the bridle on in a way that causes that?

    Mike Sofen
    -----Original Message-----
    From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Irene M Burnett
    Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 9:18 AM
    To: Ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] [Guest] Bitless bridle

    Once the horse understands a one-rein-stop, and displacing the hindquarters, it is not hard to teach "slow down".  Remember, riding with two hands means NOT using the reins with equal pressure.  Too keep the horse going in a straight line, but slowing down at the same time, pull one rein slightly while maintaining the necessary pressure on the outside rein to control the amount of bend in the neck.  The reins control the front part of the horse, legs control what is behind the shoulders.  I don't believe a "bitless bridle" (my favorite is Boz' halter headstall) causes a horses head to come up; mine don't.  However, a mechanical hackamore almost always will cause the head to come up.  I don't know if it is the rider's hands being too harsh, or where the chin strap (or chain) hits under the chin, but do know it is practically impossible to get any lateral control with one, in my experiences.  Renie