<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] VC 100
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:36:02 GMT 2003
  • - Maggie Mieske
  • - CMNewell

    Re: [RC] VC 100 - Joan Ruprecht

    Thanks Kathy, I really appreciate that, I am so proud of them, but sorry Cliff did not make it with them.  Hope they are both O.K.

    Joan
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Sunday, September 22, 2002 1:21 PM
    Subject: VC 100

    Hi, Since both of you have asked for news of the Virginia City 100 on Ridecamp, I thought I would send along a little info.

    I think there were 62 starters and 43 finishers or something close to that. This was one of the best finishing rates ever for the ride, according to ride manager Connie Creech. There was wonderful weather, and the most amazing full moon I have ever seen for the ride. Tom Johnson won the ride and got BC with a horse belonging to someone else. I did not pay attention to the winning time, however.  Al Beaupre got his 1900 mile buckle, Nicole Weire got her 1500 mile buckle.

    I think 22 of the finishers were first timers.  One of the first time finishers was 5 year old Cliffy Lewis riding the 29 year old Spiderman (who has finished the ride 7 times now, the last time in 1987).  Cliffy's sponsor was his dad Tom Lewis who got his 1300 mile buckle.  They rode the course in 23hrs and 15 minutes total time.  Tom himself rode the VC 100 when HE was 5, but Cliffy is actually 6 months younger than Tom was when he did it.  When Cliffy crossed the fiish line at 4:15 this morning, he slid off Spiderman and ran BACK down the trail to get some glow bars.  Cliffy showed his own horse to the vets for his post ride check including trotting him out himself. Spiderman scored all A's except got a B for attitude at the end.  Not bad for an old guy.

    Spiderman came out of retirement to train with Cliffy for the ride.
    His performance was flawless, as was Cliffy's IMHO!!!!!

    Kathy Lewis
    proud grandma