<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] shoeing/barefoot/traction question
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:36:02 GMT 2003
  • - heidi

    Re: [RC] shoeing/barefoot/traction question - Howard Bramhall

    I'm glad you broached that subject, Heidi, because I have a few questions.  I take it this is the Ride Manager's decision?  I'm sure it's a good one, but, for us Barefoot radicals who might actually think we don't need our horses shod for the ride, can this be protested?  Can it even be discussed?

    I only ask because I don't feel it's right for anyone, including the Ride Manager, to make this call as one that is mandatory, just like it isn't right (well, maybe, it is) to force every endurance rider to wear a riding helmet, even if they should.  Suggested, recommended, certainly, but mandatory? If AERC doesn't make it mandatory, why on earth would the Ride Manager make it an absolute for a horse to be shod at their particular ride?

    I'm sure I'll get some great public and personal responses on this one, but, it's OK, after the last discussion this seems quite tame to me, and I don't think I'll be apologizing for this one.  Anyway, shouldn't this particular decision be left to the rider or owner of the horse?  And, can it be protested thru AERC, if, for example, you're turned away from starting one of these rides that you enter and show up to and then find out they say it's mandatory for your horse to be shod and they don't let you start?

    cya,
    Howard (who's as likely to protest a ride as he is to call the police after hearing something peculiar from one of the patrons at Shoney's)

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Sent: Monday, September 23, 2002 4:55 AM
    To: howard9732@xxxxxxx
    Cc: ronin5410@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] shoeing/barefoot/traction question

    > There are no rules requiring horses to be shod at any endurance ride
    > that I'm aware of.  There might be a ride manager or two in the country
    > who require this, but I don't know of any.

    Guess it depends on what part of the country you're in, Howard.  Requiring
    some sort of hoof protection is the norm here in the NW, not the
    exception.  We occasionally exempt individual horses, on some courses,
    more likely on LD's, but it is common to leave it to the vet's discretion
    at vet-in.

    Heidi