<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] shoeing/barefoot/traction question
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:36:02 GMT 2003
  • - Drin Becker
  • - Becky Huffman

    Re: [RC] shoeing/barefoot/traction question - Howard Bramhall

    There are no rules requiring horses to be shod at any endurance ride that I'm aware of.  There might be a ride manager or two in the country who require this, but I don't know of any.  If the ride you're going to is not in the mountains and is not considered to be rocky or has an over abundance of man made stones on the trails, I guarantee you you can ride a 25 miler barefoot if your horse is used to being unshod.

    There are a few of us endurance riders who do the barefoot thing.  We're a quiet group, most of us don't come out of that closet and don't want to stir things up with those who are convinced that shod is the only way to do endurance (it isn't).  Is spite of that, please, take a close look at this site.  I've actually gotten the courage to do my own horses from this site alone and I don't think I'll ever hire a farrier again.  It's not as difficult as a lot of folks think it is; you just have to have desire.

    cya,
    Howard  (who's not afraid to come out of the closet ever, even when I'm wearing my black nylon tights! lol)

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: James and Beth Carrigan
    Sent: Saturday, September 21, 2002 10:30 PM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] shoeing/barefoot/traction question

    My mare has never worn shoes (she has excellent feet), and we have covered
    many miles this way.

    Now, we are coming back into training after a 3 year lay-off, and looking
    at a 25-mile ride in the spring.  So my question is:

    Do I have to shoe her?

    What are the rules about this?

    How far in advance would she need to be shod for her structures to adapt to
    the new stresses?  (I'm unhappily thinking I would need to do it now.)

    Everyone around here shoes everything, regardless of use (or so it seems...).

    Thanks in advance,

    Beth (and Belle)

    At 09:37 AM 9/21/02 EDT, you wrote:
    >I do hope this one hasn't been discussed (in the last six months or so).
    >I'm hoping for opinions, please, on how you may feel your horses' traction
    is
    >affected with no pads, pads added, or barefoot... have a friend who is
    having
    >the hind shoes pulled today and may have fronts pulled, too, next time.  She
    >rides in varied terrain with a fair amount of hills and lava rock, mostly
    >conditioning rides, limited speed.
    >Thanks in advance for your help!    Nikki

    Beth Carrigan
    and Max (the judobie)
    (and Tess!)
    in Rocket City