<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: [RC] More on WNV from VetMed, wolves, dogs, squirrels
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:35:23 GMT 2003
  • - Tamara Murray

    [RC] More on WNV from VetMed, wolves, dogs, squirrels - Maryanne Stroud Gabbani

    The posts that I've forwarded seem to indicate that for some reason
    squirrels seem to be susceptible to WNV, just as hawks, owls, and crows. In
    dogs, wolves and humans, a compromised immunity seems to be the over-riding
    factor.
    FWIW.
    Maryanne Stroud Gabbani
    Cairo, Egypt
    maryanne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    www.ratbusters.net

    Date: Tue 17 Sep 2002
    From: John J. Andrews <jandrews@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

    Illinois: West Nile Virus in Squirrels, Wolf and a Dog
    Squirrels:

    In the last several weeks we have identified West Nile virus (WNV)
    infection in several grey squirrels in both the Chicago area and in
    down-state Illinois. The clinical signs in the grey squirrels
    included lethargy, biting at their paws, vocalizing or crying out as
    if in pain, ataxia, and walking in circles. Reports of similar signs
    in squirrels have been received since mid-summer 2002. The primary
    lesions in the squirrels were those of a viral encephalitis with mild
    myocarditis. The presence of WNV in the brain and spinal cord of at
    least 3 squirrels was confirmed by immunohistochemistry (IHC) in our
    laboratory, and by PCR in 2 other laboratories within the state
    (Public Health and DNR).

    Further investigations of additional squirrels from other parts of
    the state are in progress in cooperation with and support from the
    Department of Natural Resources and the Department of Public Health.

    Wolf:

    In addition, WNV encephalitis was identified in a 3-month-old wolf
    from a small zoologic collection in the southwest Chicago area. This
    animal exhibited clinical CNS symptoms and was confirmed by IHC, and
    PCR by 3 different laboratories.

    Dog:

    An 8-year-old dog from central Illinois exhibited weakness which
    progressed to neurologic and cardiac signs over a 4-day period and
    was euthanized in a moribund state. This animal had histologic
    changes of a viral encephalitis and myocarditis. WNV infection was
    again confirmed in 3 different laboratories by IHC, and PCR methods.
    There was also evidence in this dog of a concurrent immune-mediated
    disease.

    Conclusions:

    We are unaware of previous reports of documented clinical disease and
    death losses in grey squirrels, wolves, and dogs due to WNV in the
    US. We believe that the wolf and dog cases probably represent a
    sporadic occurrence in young or immunocompromised animals. The
    multiple occurrences in the grey squirrel population appears to be a
    significant infection and cause of death for that species.

    - --
    John J. Andrews
    Director & Professor of Pathology
    Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory