<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Trouble going down hills
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:35:25 GMT 2003
  • - bayarab
  • - LOUISE D BURTON

    Re: [RC] Trouble going down hills - Heidi Smith

    I personally prefer to go straight down as well, unless it is simply so steep as to be physically impossible.  A well-balanced horse can do it just fine.  All I was trying to explain in my post is that the zig-zagging done "on purpose" is switchbacking down the hill, and not the same thing as a horse crabbing because he is in pain.

    Heidi

    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Wednesday, September 18, 2002 11:36 PM
    Subject: Re: [RC] Trouble going down hills

    I've asked that question alot and read alot of opinions and  they say to go straight down.So if the horse needs too they can literally sit down for balance if they had too.If you zig, zag they may lose their balance and fall sideways, plus a rider could throw their balance off that way. I believe that is what CTR teaches too. Rascal and I follow the trail, some of them do slant here somewhat. But he is alot more stable going straight, and I sure can balance better.Seems if he ankles , we get more sideways slippage, especially in muddy conditions. Laurie and Rascal