<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Problem colt, please help
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:35:26 GMT 2003
  • - Barb & Neil
  • - AprJhn

    Re: [RC] Problem colt, please help - Laurie Durgin

    My colt is 15 months now. We had temporary electric cross fencing. He learned about it from birth.He only ran thru it a couple times (when off). I weaned him at 6 months(kinda) by putting his mom on the otherside and leaving him with the horses  he was used too.(They'd been on the other side for a while till it was safe to recombine them. So he buddied up with them and wasn't alone. He could still see his mom, but only a little hollering. After 6 weeks I put them all together. Well he occasionally "takes a swig" from her, she lets him, but it isn' major.If we trailride her , we do lock him up with a buddy in the barn. He will holler a bit, but she doesn't answer.. We have electric strand on top of our other fence, and they know it. But sometimes they know when it is off too.Not a perfect set up, but my options are limited. It has worked fine. I know some never put the horses back, but she is so calm she is a good teacher for him(she is like 20).

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Lisa Pardus
    Sent: Tuesday, September 17, 2002 8:36 PM
    To: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: [RC] Problem colt, please help

    Hi folks,
    My colt is six months. I know he is a month overdue for weaning, but
    until last week I didn't get my other fence up. NOW I am having trouble
    keeping the little sucker in! He just jumped, from a standstill, a four
    foot fence!
    He was pushing against the h part of the h-brace, then over he went!
    Would electric wire around the inside, keeping him four inches from the
    fence help? Has anyone had such a problem colt?
    I don't have a barn, and he was with his brother. He could see mom, and
    while he was yelling, she could care less! He did respect the electric
    fence that was around her though. He didn't try to push through it.
    He kept testing the field fence though. He was looking to see if IT
    would "bite". Should we electrify the top as well as two strands inside,
    or should we just try the two strands inside. DH would like to just put
    more wire up across the top of where he jumped out, but I am afraid if he
    is THAT determined, he will try somewhere else again. The more he tries
    and succeeds, the more trouble we will have keeping him in.
    Please help! I really need to get back to riding so we can do this ride
    the end of the month! Thanks all!

    In His Hands,
    Lisa P.
    www.geocities.com/bludoglady/