<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Strangles from rides
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:35:27 GMT 2003
  • - DVeritas

    Re: [RC] Strangles from rides - Laurie Durgin

    I believe the recommended vacine for strangles, like influenza  and some others is for every 3 mos. So to stay protected you'd have to do it more than once to be safe technically. . .

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: TRougeau@xxxxxxx
    Sent: Monday, September 16, 2002 10:35 PM
    To: Magnumsmom@xxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re: [RC] Strangles from rides

    My horse was also exposed to one of the sick horses from the Sierra Valley ride when a horse from the SV ride was brought to a riding clinic two weeks after the ride.  The horse was obviously ill, coughing, runny nose etc.  The owner told us she had dusty hay, but the night the clinic ended she called one of the other riders and told her that the vet had diagnosed Strangles.  Needless to say the last couple of weeks have been a little stressful, but thankfully, no ill horses.  I also use the nasal vacinne and am very glad I do.

    I did a great deal of searching on the internet about Strangles and it is one pretty nasty illness that is really hard to get rid of once it is in the barn.  The scary thing in that this person is planning on taking the same horse to another ride in October.  She just does not get it.  What are the consequences to infecting an entire ride?  After this it really opened my eyes to how easily illness can be spread and spread and spread.  Pretty scary.

    Tami