<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: RE: [RC] Riverdance trail marking
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:34:23 GMT 2003
  • - Typef
  • - Alison Farrin

    RE: [RC] Riverdance trail marking - Alison Farrin

    This ride was fabulously marked. Three ribbons before the turn, single ribbons right after the turn and another single ribbon in 20 yards or so to let you know you are on the right track.  We hit one short section that had been sabotaged, but if you looked carefully, you could still see the knots of ribbon tied to the branches.
    Lyne even puts out riders at major intersections to point you in the right direction.

    However, the tunnels are so darn FUN that its easy to get caught up in them and totally forget to look for ribbons.

    Alison A. Farrin
    Innovative Pension
    Innovative Retirement Services
    858-748-6500 x 107
    alison@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    -----Original Message-----
    From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]On Behalf Of Lynne Glazer
    Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2002 10:06 AM
    To: rides2far@xxxxxxxx; EgyptianMirage@xxxxxx
    Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Subject: Re:[RC] Apologies to everyone at The Norco Ride

    At 4:30 PM +0000 9/3/02, rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
    >everyone that witnessed and put up with my frustration and anger at
    >the Norco ride.It was one incredibly frustrating day coupled with
    >the loss of my horse for 1 1/2 hours who decided that the town of
    >Norco was much more exciting than I was, my missing the trail
    >ribbons which were >>>clearly marked
    >
    >Seems like several riders mentioned missing turns, and that it was a
    >  beautiful trail. I've missed plenty of well marked turns and usually it
    >  was because I was distracted to look at something else as I rode past
    >  the markers.  I'm just curious...do you all use the red paper plates
    >  after an easy to miss turn?  That's helped tremendously to keep me from
    >  missing turns.  When we mark now, especially if the trail turns from a
    >  broad path to a narrow one, we go about 20 yard past the turn (about
    >  how far it takes to get your attention back after a distraction)
    >and put a red pie plate on a tree.  Maybe they did that there, but
    >if not it
    >  might help.  Sometimes gorgeous scenery can cause problems. :-)
    >
    >Angie

    We use "confidence" ribbons placed shortly after a turn, to reinforce
    that the rider made the right choice to turn where they did.

    Our singletrack trails within the riverbed are very twisty in many
    spots, which is part of the thrill.

    Lynne

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=- Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net.