<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Back injuries and riding
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:34:23 GMT 2003
  • - Sundaez
  • - Jeannie Gillen

    Re: [RC] Back injuries and riding - Cheryl Newbanks

    I don't know who originally posted this, I must of deleted it, but I had anterior lumbar spinal fusion with titanium cages last Oct 2001 and I am successfully riding again.

    Most important thing is DON'T TRY TO RIDE BEFORE YOUR READY!  I waited approx 6 months and then I only walked around for short, short rides.  Started off 15 minutes first two weeks, then 30 minutes, then 40, etc.  Common sense is important at this stage of the game.

    Once you get done your physical therapy DON'T STOP DOING YOUR EXERCISES ever, for eternity, if you want to keep riding. And start a good stretching program before and after your ride.  Stretching has helped me the most, I stretch at least 4 days a week!

    And DON'T LISTEN TO THE DOCTORS WHO SAY YOU'LL NEVER RIDE AGAIN!!!!  In fact if I had a Dr like that he wouldn't of been my doctor for long!  I got lucky my Neurosurgeon used to do Tri-Athalons and he had the same exact surgery done on him.  So he knows about the passion to compete.  He never told me NOT to do stuff, but he did say to be careful when I did start and to wait until PT was over.  Following the recovery instructions is vitally important. Most people I talked to who didn't have good recoveries didn't listen to their Dr's during the recovery period.

    Also stay away from the ONLINE SPINAL SURGERY BOARDS AND LISTS!  They are so depressing and full of people who didn't have good surgeries.  I've had tons of positive emails from Ridecamp people who had the surgery done and tons of negative doom and gloom emails from those spinal surgery lists and boards.  You don't want to fill your head up with a bunch of negative attitudes right now.  Attitude is EVERYTHING when it comes to how well you recover!

    Well I went on off topic long enough!  Whoever started this thread feel free to email me private and I can fill you in more.

    Cheryl Newbanks
    Litchfield Park, AZ