<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] WNV patterns
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:33:49 GMT 2003
  • - Randy and Cheryl Winter
  • - Howard Bramhall

    Re: [RC] WNV patterns - Colleen Egleston

    Howard,

    I didn't mean not to use any Fort Dodge vaccines, I just meant, I for one, will not use their rabies vaccine again, I may use a rabies vaccine from another company, but not Fort Dodge.  I, in no way, meant that you should not use any Fort Dodge vaccine.  After my experience, I am just not comfortable ever using that vaccine again, but I have since vaccinated with other Fort Dodge products.  Please read the exact wording next time and my condolences to anyone who has lost a horse from WNV.

    C.
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2002 2:57 PM
    Subject: Re: [RC] WNV patterns

    Well, Truman, I gotta tell ya, in my simple world, I do believe it just depends on where the heck you live.  I recently did the GERA ride, which is 90 minutes drive north of Atlanta, and they are experiencing quite a drought up there.  The river crossing is the lowest I've ever seen it in the 4 years I've been going to that ride.  Than entire week-end (4 days, actually) I never saw one squitoe and very few deer flies.  I think it's because the campsite is where the Army used to bury nuclear waste, but we won't go there.

    This is quite amazing to me, because down here, 9 hours drive south, we've had 30 inches of rain from June till right now.  If you want to dig a well for water you don't have to go very deep, like 3 feet or so, and you'll hit pay-dirt.  Our 3 year drought is officially over.  Throw in a tropical storm or hurricane, and Daytona Beach will literally float away into the Atlantic.

    Anyway, I think this has a lot to do why my county is so awful with the West Nile thing.  We got squitoes, no doubt about it.  I think Cindy is right, her drought has quite a bit to do with why they aren't having any West Nile cases in her area.  I wish this was true where I live.

    While we're on the subject, I do think the one person who posted on Ridecamp recommending not to use any vaccinations from Ft. Dodge, which West Nile is one, is giving out very poor advice to fellow horse owners.  I can almost see where she's coming from, with that one very bad experience she did have with another vaccine made by Fort Dodge, but that doesn't mean all vaccines produced by this company are awful.  And, when it comes to West Nile, I haven't heard anything bad about the vaccine at all, except that, maybe, some horses who were vaccinated, still got West Nile.  But, from what my vet is telling me down here on the front lines of the war, no horse that was vaccinated has died.

    My neighbor who had the horse who died from West Nile has, finally, stopped crying, but, you will never ever meet anyone who is so emphatic on getting that vaccine for your horse.  She practically begs the folks in her boarding barn to do so, and all of them have.  Believe me, if I hear of a horse who was vaccinated dying from West Nile I will let ya'll know.  So far, that hasn't happened in the county with the most cases here in Florida.  It's your decision, but I think doing it at least once is not a bad idea.

    cya,
    Howard (I just bought a new horse and I'm going to name him "American Spirit" in honor of those serving in and near Afghanistan....this guy is friggen incredible, just like the folks who are over there watching our back.  Watch out Debbi Foti, I'm going to run with you one of these days!)