<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] grip with their calves
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:32:31 GMT 2003
  • - Sullivan
  • - Jennifer Thompson

    Re: [RC] grip with their calves - April Johnson

    Guess I have to disagree with that. I do a lot of bareback riding. Have in
    the past. Do now. I rarely touch my horses with my calves. I use below my
    knee for cueing only. I "hold on" with my thighs. I still have fits riding
    in a saddle. One of my "things" is to consciously relax my thighs so I'm not
    gripping at a trot. In a saddle, gripping with my thighs translates into
    scars from rubbed off skin. Bareback, the constant contraction and
    relaxation of my thigh muscles translates into balance and a good seat. (No,
    I don't think about it, I just do it...)

    I do agree that not every horse is built and/or meant for barebacking. I
    have 2 grey Arabian geldings. My 13 year old free lease, Serts, is perfect
    for barebacking. Round, low withered, extremely smooth gaits. When I ride
    him, I forego the saddle and just ride bareback. I have a bareback pad (NO
    STIRRUPS..please don't get me started on that) that I use with a 1/4"
    non-slip pad underneath, but sometimes I'm even too lazy to get that out.
    Depends on how much I'll be annoyed by having sweat on my pants.

    Anyway, my 8 year old (he's mine, I bought him), Tanna, can be ridden
    bareback. But he's narrower, higher withers, and spooks more often and more
    violently than Serts. And his trot is bouncier than Serts'. So I rarely go
    bareback on Tanna. Have been known to do it, though.

    I have seen several horses that I wouldn't even attempt to ride bareback.
    The one that comes to mind is the late Baru. I remember seeing her on my
    first endurance (ok, LD) ride and agreeing without a doubt with Carla that
    she was not built for bareback riding.

    I love riding bareback. But I also love riding Tanna. So I ride in a saddle
    on Tanna and bareback on Serts. I'm lucky to have such good horses!

    April
    Nashville, TN