<% appTitle="Ridecamp Archives" %> Ridecamp: Re: [RC] Standardbreds in Endurance
Ridecamp@Endurance.Net

Current to Wed Jul 23 17:32:31 GMT 2003
  • - Colleen Egleston
  • - EBraznell

    Re: [RC] Standardbreds in Endurance - Colleen Egleston

    I live in Amish Country, and if the Standardbreds can take what these people dish out, they can take on any endurance ride.  I have seen Standardbreds trotted full bore down an ice slick hill in barium shoes at night in a freezing rain storm.  The Standardbreds are required to trot and trot for miles without regular conditioning, for the most part, very poor nutrition, poor hoof care, maybe once yearly worming, etc.

    I know there are people out there who think the Amish are so quaint, but there is a reason the most famous saying around here is, 'There are three things you never want to be, an Amishman's wife, dog or horse.'   The Amish purchase them for the most part at killer prices, keep them until their lame, too slow, or too old and then sell them again to the killers.

    Standardbreds are tough, honest horses with good minds.  They are easy, in my experience to train to saddle if they've been driven awhile, plus, you can always cross train them with driving.  I can't say enough positive things about these horses, excellent endurance, maybe not like an Arabian, but better than most.  Also, many Standardbreds are slat-sided (sp) without alot of bulk, or maybe that's just the hungry Amish horses, so they have alot of surface area., good cooling.

    Now before my ass catches fire, not all Amish are like this, however a good majority are, ever seen a horses neck look like hamburger from their harness collar, stop around here during plowing time and you will.

    There are several Standardbred adoption sites out there, check them out, you can get a sound horse with all the medical and dental done on them for peanuts.  Good luck.  I think there was a great endurance horse that was a Standardbred/Arab cross, can't remember his name though...

    C.
    ----- Original Message -----
    Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 3:09 PM
    Subject: [RC] Standardbreds in Endurance

    Hey all,

    I am going back to school for a couple of years and thought that perhaps spring of 2003 would be a logical time to breed my mare.  She is 12 and has never been bred.  I have read tidbits about Standardbreds here and there on Ridecamp, and have considered considering breeding her to a Standardbred stallion.

    Also, another question. . . does anyone know if there has been any research done regarding the effects of geographical location on characteristics which are passed to the next generation?  Specifically, does a lineage which is predominately southeastern bred, raised, trained, and ridden produce offspring which are more acclamated to the heat/humidity found in the southeast, or would a west coast, low humidity bred, raised, trained and ridden lineage tend to not be as acclimated.  Gosh, I hope that made sense.

    You may either respond to me privately or on the list if you feel others would take interest.  Thanks in advance.

    Beth Bennett and Paanache (Chickamauga, GA)

    PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE EVERYONE TRY TO COME TO CHATTANOOGA FOR 2003!  IT'S A GREAT CITY!